PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
California Truck Accident Lawyer
Get a Free
Trucking accidents are extremely delicate cases that require an experienced Sacramento truck accident attorney to ensure a successful outcome. Accident cases involving commercial vehicles can become complicated quite quickly because victims are often seriously injured, and all too often, fatalities are a result. In addition, a truck driver is technically “on the job” when driving his or her vehicle and, as such, numerous other factors come into play that are not involved in a typical car accident case.
Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP has over 25 years of experience managing complex injury cases involving truck drivers, trucking companies, and the organizations they are hauling for. Our lawyers know how to handle commercial trucking insurance companies, truck manufacturers and repair facilities as well as road construction businesses. Often, these truck accident cases involve complex federal regulations and in-state trucking requirements that these drivers and their employers are required to follow.
Because there is a two-year statute of limitations on trucking accidents in California, it is important to get a consultation regarding your injury case as soon as possible. Call our legal team at 916-782-8400 to start discussing your options today. Don’t sign any agreements until you have consulted a Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer about your rights.
Sacramento Truck Accident Resources
- Why Hire a Lawyer After a Truck Accident?
- How a Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
- Common Causes of Truck Accidents
- Types of Truck Accidents
- Who Is at Fault for a Truck Accident?
- Accidents Caused by Overloaded Trucks
- Truck Accidents Caused by Speeding
- Most Dangerous Sacramento Roads for Truck Accidents
- What to Do After a Truck Accident in Sacramento
Why Do I Need a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Truck accidents can cause serious injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord damage, that will impact the rest of your life. While you have a right to both past and future damages associated with your injuries, it can be hard to accurately calculate your rightful compensation without concrete numbers to work with. An attorney can help you determine the value of your compensation, preventing an insurance company from offering you a settlement that doesn’t come close to the true worth of your accident claim.
Truck collisions can also be stressful because they involve trucking companies, who have possession of the key piece of evidence: the truck. These companies also have much more resources than a regular motorist. Working with a Sacramento truck accident attorney puts you on equal ground with even the largest of trucking companies, giving your case fair representation.
What Will a Truck Accident Attorney Do?
You may think that only the commercial driver is to blame for your accident. But at Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, we know there may be numerous parties at fault. When you hire our Sacramento truck collision lawyers to represent you, we do a thorough investigation to determine all responsible parties. Those who may be held accountable for your trucking accident include:
- Truck driver – Did the driver fall asleep? Is the driver properly licensed? Was the driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol?
- Trucking company– Did the company force the driver to drive under unsafe conditions? Did it properly maintain the truck? Did it ensure the truck was properly inspected?
- Truck manufacturers– Was the truck built with defective parts? Were all manufacturing codes adhered to? Was the truck properly built?
- Truck repair companies – Did they make all necessary repairs? Were repairs made to appropriate specifications? Did they allow an unsafe vehicle on the road?
- Cargo manufacturer– Was the cargo properly loaded onto the truck? Was the correct type of truck used to transport the cargo? Did something happen to the cargo during transport that affected the driver’s ability to control the truck?
- Roadway authorities– What was the condition of the roadway? Were the roads properly maintained?
- Other drivers – Who else was on the road? Could another reckless driver have caused the truck to hit you?
When we know who all the players are, we can seek recompense for your injuries, medical bills, pain and suffering, medical care, lost wages and more. Knowing who is at fault ensures your case is headed in the right direction. We pursue all possible avenues so we can get you the maximum recovery possible.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
When you first contact the truck accident attorneys of Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, we’ll provide you with a free initial consultation. With this meeting, one of our Sacramento trucking accident lawyers will review your case, help you understand your rights, evaluate your chances of success, and discuss your best legal options moving forward.
Once you decide to work with us, we’ll start obtaining the necessary evidence to support your case. This process will include obtaining witness statements and other official reports to help establish fault. After you’ve recovered from your injuries or your condition has stabilized, we’ll also gather medical records, bills, and reports to calculate your damages.
We can also assist with the settlement negotiation process. If we cannot reach a suitable agreement with the insurance company, we can proceed to file a lawsuit and present your injury claim to court. Throughout the entire process, we’ll provide you with the legal counsel and support you need to let you focus on recovery.
Types of Truck Accidents
Truck drivers are trained professionals in the trucking industry. Their job is driving a tractor-trailer and they are responsible for safely getting their cargo to its destination. Eighteen-wheelers can be hard to maneuver – they have many blind spots – and often drivers are under tremendous pressure due to tight schedules and deadlines, especially delivery truck drivers. These issues, however, do not excuse a big-rig driver from negligent driving. In fact, a semi-truck driver must be in compliance with many rules, lest he or she be considered negligent, such as maintaining trip/hauling logs and valid and current medical certificates. Common causes of truck wrecks include:
- Driver fatigue or drowsy driving
- Improper truck loading
- Auto defects such as faulty brakes, faulty repairs, and tire blowouts
- Drug use and/or drinking
- Failure to see a car due to blind spots or distracted driving
- Being forced to drive in unsafe conditions
- Improper road design or maintenance
- Speeding or reckless driving
- Inadequate safety equipment
Drivers must exercise reasonable care when operating their vehicles, and if they do not, they are responsible for subsequent vehicle accidents.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident?
Many types of truck accidents can occur, causing serious injuries to the involved drivers. Common accidents include:
- Rear-end. A truck may fail to slow down in enough time, colliding with the rear end of the vehicle in front of it. Depending on traffic conditions and the force of the impact, a rear-end accident can cause a chain reaction.
- Jackknife. Jackknife accidents occur when the front cab of a truck slows, but the trailer does not, causing the trailer to shift at a 90-degree angle with the cab.
- Rollover. When a truck tips over, it’s a rollover accident. These accidents can occur due to a driver not slowing enough while making a turn, or when improperly secured cargo shifts in the trailer, upsetting its balance.
- Underride. Underride accidents occur when a passenger car slips underneath a truck’s trailer, either from the rear or side. These accidents can sheer off the top of a car and cause severe damages.
- Lost load. Some commercial trucks have open trailers, and improper loading and driving can cause the cargo to fall into the road, potentially causing several accidents and other health hazards. It’s also possible for closed trailer trucks to spill cargo.
No matter what type of accident you experienced, a Sacramento truck accident attorney at Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP is ready to help you file your claim.
Consequences of Overloaded or Improperly Loaded Trucks
Overloading or improperly loading a large truck can result in complications such as falling debris, tire blowouts, and jackknife brake accidents. Our team represents individuals injured as a result of accidents caused by overloaded trucks and their accompanying issues. We seek maximum compensation from all available sources to cover damages such as medical treatments, pain and suffering, and lost wages.
We work with accident investigators and other professionals to reenact accidents and determine the negligent parties that are liable. Our truck accident lawyers in Sacramento will handle all aspects of your case and take on the insurance companies on your behalf to make sure you get what you deserve.
Truck Accidents Caused by Speeding
Big rig trucks must be driven and handled differently from passenger vehicles. Understanding the proper way to operate a big rig truck is part of professional truck drivers’ responsibilities. Large trucks require a greater stopping distance and, as a result, speeding is a dangerous act of negligence. When not operated properly, a big rig truck is a multiton weapon capable of causing catastrophic injuries and changing the lives of innocent drivers and their families forever. For example, it can take well over 500 feet for a truck to come to a complete stop, depending on the load and the condition of the pavement. Speeding opens the door for the possibility of not stopping in time and colliding with other vehicles.
A rear-end collision caused by speeding can also result in an underride truck accident, which can cause immense damage. The bottom line is that when truck drivers speed, they place people at risk and deserve to be held accountable for the consequences of their actions. Our Sacramento truck accidents attorneys thoroughly investigate the circumstances of truck crashes; we will do everything in our power to obtain compensation from all liable sources.
Sacramento Roads with High Risk of Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks are a common presence on Sacramento roads but some areas are more likely to see truck crashes than others. Some of the most dangerous roads and highways for truck accidents are:
- Highway 99
- Capital City Freeway
- Interstate 80
- Highway 99
With so many major highways passing through the Sacramento area, commercial trucks join the busy roadways, potentially leading to accidents during high traffic times. These incidents can potentially cause more collisions, as blocked roadways increase traffic and the risk of distracted driving.
What to Do After a Truck Accident in Sacramento
You are driving down the road and suddenly you feel as though you have been hit by a truck – because you have. Call 911 immediately and report any injuries. Even if no one has been hurt, you should still call the police and report the accident. If possible, you need to start documenting what happened. Try to gather the following information from everyone involved:
- Driver’s license numbers
- License plate numbers
- Insurance information
- Driver contact information
- Names and contact numbers of any passengers
- Witness information
- Notes on the weather and road conditions
You should also take as many pictures as possible of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles, your injuries, the position of the vehicles and the surrounding area. Once you have gathered all the information, you will have to call your insurance company to report the accident. Just give basic information, never admit fault to anyone you speak with and don’t sign anything. Your next call should be to a qualified truck crash attorney in Sacramento. At Rosenthal & Kreeger, LLP, our skilled lawyers help clients in the Roseville and Sacramento areas and we can help you with your recovery.
THE KREEGER LAW FIRM COLLEGE
SCHOLARSHIPThe greatest investment a person can make is in their education. That’s why The Kreeger Law Firm is proud to announce a scholarship opportunity in support of one remarkable student’s post-secondary education. This $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to a current or rising college or trade school student with a track record of success both inside and outside the classroom. As has been said, “Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today.”
To be considered for this scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Applicant must be currently attending or accepted to an accredited college, university, or trade school.
- If currently a post-secondary institution, applicant must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- If currently in high school and have been accepted to a post-secondary institution, applicant must have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Before midnight on August 15th, submit an email with the following information to [email protected].
- Your name, phone number, and email address
- A 750- to 1,000-word essay in Word, PDF, or Plain Text format answering the following question: What are the top three skills you are cultivating to help you achieve your career goals?
- Proof of enrollment or acceptance to a college or trade school.
- Your most recent academic transcript.
Rules and other important information:
- Scholarship funds will be issued to the winner in the form of a check payable directly to the student’s post-secondary institution.
- Scholarship funds may be used for tuition and school-related expenses only.
- If you have previously received a scholarship through this program, you are not eligible to apply again.
- Scholarships will be issued based on merit and essays will be reviewed for writing quality, grammar, punctuation, and creativity.
Contact a Truck Accident Lawyer in Sacramento If You Were Hit
If you suffered substantial injuries or lost a loved one due to wrongful death as a result of careless, negligent, or irresponsible truck driving, reach out to our law firm today to start discussing your options. Our personal injury law firm offers free consultations at our offices in Roseville and Sacramento. We make ourselves available to clients for out-of-office and after-hours appointments. Your first consultation is always free. Call 916-782-8400 or send us a message online. We proudly serve truck accident victims all over northern California, including Sacramento County, Citrus Heights, Roseville, Rocklin, and Granite Bay.