Commercial trucks are much larger than most other vehicles on the road and capable of inflicting tremendous damage when accidents happen. If you recently experienced a truck accident, you are likely to have many important legal questions concerning your recovery options. A truck accident attorney in Sacramento, CA, is the ideal asset to have on your side in the aftermath of such an event.
Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in the State
Truck accidents can happen for various reasons, including many of the most commonly cited causes of all other vehicle accidents. However, due to their size and other factors, there are additional safety concerns and unique causes of truck accidents that all drivers must know and understand. According to the latest accident reports, some of the most common causes of truck accidents in the state are:
- Distracted driving. Whenever a driver isn’t paying attention behind the wheel, they endanger themselves and others. Distracted driving is extremely dangerous and one of the most commonly cited causes of all vehicle accidents throughout the country each year.
- Speeding. It is quite dangerous for any driver to exceed the speed limit but especially so for large trucks. These vehicles require more time and distance to slow down or stop to avoid a collision, and accidents that happen at higher speeds have the greatest chance of causing catastrophic or fatal injuries.
- Moving violations. Whenever drivers disrupt the flow of traffic, they can easily cause accidents. Illegal turns, improper lane changes, running red lights and stop signs, and failure to yield the right-of-way are all common causes of accidents throughout the state each year.
- Improperly loaded truck cargo. A tractor-trailer must be balanced; otherwise, it may tip or roll over on the road and cause a serious accident. Improperly loaded cargo and failure to secure special types of cargo are commonly cited causes of truck accidents throughout the state each year.
- Failure to follow trucking industry regulations. The trucking industry is one of the most heavily regulated in the country. When a trucking company fails to enforce industry regulations and accidents happen as a result, they face liability for the resulting damages. For example, failure to enforce hours of service regulations for drivers can lead to accidents from fatigued driving.
- Driving under the influence (DUI) of alcohol or drugs. Any driver who operates a vehicle while intoxicated faces serious penalties such as fines, jail time, and loss of their driving privileges. When they cause an accident resulting in great bodily harm or death, these penalties can increase significantly.
If you are unsure how to prove fault for your recent truck accident, it is vital to seek out legal representation you can trust. A truck accident attorney in Sacramento can help their client gather the evidence they need to firmly establish liability for a recent crash and guide the client through their subsequent recovery efforts. You may need to file an auto insurance claim and a personal injury claim to fully recover your losses after another driver has caused a truck accident.
Q: Who Is at Fault for a Truck Accident in Sacramento?
A: Liability for your recent truck accident may fall to one or more parties. The driver of the truck may bear sole responsibility, or their employer could share fault under the vicarious liability rule. It is also possible for a third-party driver to be responsible for the accident. Your truck accident attorney in Sacramento can help identify each liable party to cite in your recovery efforts and help hold each party appropriately accountable for the damages they caused.
Q: What Happens if a Truck Driver Causes an Accident From Intoxicated Drivin?
A: If a truck driver operates their commercial vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol and causes an accident, they face a host of serious consequences. They are not only liable for the damages they inflict on others but also face criminal prosecution from the state. Penalties for DUI can include fines and jail time, and it is likely that their commercial driver’s license will be suspended or revoked, forcing them to find a new job.
Q: Do I Need to Hire a Truck Accident Attorney in Sacramento After an Accident?
A: Technically, you have the right to pursue recovery from your damages without hiring legal counsel. However, it is unwise for several reasons and unlikely to yield the results you hope to see. Your recovery from a truck accident is likely to require an auto insurance claim and a personal injury claim, and you have a much greater chance of success with both of these recovery efforts when you have legal counsel you can trust on your side.
Q: How Much Compensation Can I Claim for a Truck Accident in Sacramento?
A: If you succeed in proving that another party is directly responsible for causing your recent truck accident, you can seek compensation for the entire extent of damages they inflicted with their actions. These damages may include vehicle repair costs, medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. A motorcycle accident attorney in Sacramento can estimate your case’s total potential value.
Q: How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim for a Truck Accident?
A: The statute of limitations or time limit for a personal injury case is two years, starting on the date the accident occurred. If you do not file your claim within this time limit, you will lose your chance to claim compensation from the party responsible for causing the accident.
Kreeger Law Firm has years of professional experience representing clients in all types of vehicle accident claims, including those involving commercial trucks. We know you are likely to have many pressing legal questions in the aftermath of your accident, and we want to provide guidance and support in this situation. Contact us today to schedule a consultation with a truck accident attorney in Sacramento and find out how we can help you recover.