Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Need Consultancy? Request A Free Quote
Want to get in touch with us? We’d love to hear from you. Get an expert opinion today.
Sacramento Motorcycle Accidents Attorney
Legal Representation for Injured Motorcycle Accident Victims in Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle accidents are damaging experiences that can lead to complex legal claims. If you or a loved one recently experienced a motorcycle accident in the Sacramento, CA, area, it’s vital to know your rights and legal options for recovering your losses. If another driver is responsible for causing your motorcycle accident, a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you file a personal injury claim to hold them accountable for your damages.
Kreeger Law provides comprehensive legal counsel to victims of personal injuries throughout the Sacramento, CA, area. We understand how damaging motorcycle accidents can be, and any motorcycle accident victim is likely to have many questions about their legal options following this kind of incident. Our goal is to help you approach your case with confidence.
Why Should I Hire a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Attempting to handle any personal injury claim on your own is difficult and risky. You could make procedural errors with your case that jeopardize your ability to recover or significantly delay the court’s handling of your case. It’s also possible to overlook available compensation channels and settle for less than you should.
If you attempt to handle your motorcycle accident claim on your own, you must do so while managing your injuries and the other effects of your accident. This is an incredible challenge for anyone. Instead of attempting to shoulder this burden on your own, have an experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney handle your case. Your legal team can not only improve your chances of succeeding with your personal injury claim but will also likely secure much more compensation than you could have obtained on your own. Ultimately, it is much easier to approach a personal injury claim with confidence when you have reliable legal representation on your side.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Sacramento
Motorcycle accidents happen for many of the same reasons as other motor vehicle accidents. But, unfortunately, the victim’s risk of suffering catastrophic or fatal injuries is much greater in motorcycle accidents. Some of the most commonly reported causes of motorcycle accidents in the Sacramento, CA, area include:
- Distracted driving. It is hazardous for anyone to operate a motor vehicle without paying attention to their surroundings. Even a few seconds of distraction can easily result in a devastating accident. Distracted driving is the most commonly reported cause of all vehicle accidents in the US.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). It is illegal for anyone to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, many people still engage in this dangerous practice and put themselves and others at risk. If a driver causes an accident because of DUI, they are likely to face criminal prosecution in addition to civil claims from victims they injure.
- Speeding. All drivers must abide by posted speed limits. Motorcycle accidents are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries and fatalities at higher speeds.
- Mechanical failures. If a maintenance issue causes an accident, the driver could face liability if they failed to address the issue in a reasonable time. It’s also possible for a mechanic to face liability if they fail to perform proper maintenance on a bike or vehicle that causes a motorcycle accident.
- Dangerous road conditions. While California drivers generally enjoy pleasant weather throughout most of the year, severe weather, poor visibility, and high winds create dangerous road conditions for all drivers. Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable in these conditions.
These are just a few examples of how motorcycle accidents can happen in the Sacramento, CA, area. The determining factor in whether you have grounds for a personal injury claim is if another party is responsible for causing your motorcycle accident. Therefore, the first step to recovering your losses in this situation is establishing fault for the accident.
Proving Fault for a Motorcycle Accident Injury
Every personal injury claim revolves around the concept of “negligence,” or a failure to uphold a duty of care in a given situation. All adults are expected to exercise reasonable care in certain situations. When it comes to driving, all drivers must abide by posted traffic signals, operate their vehicles responsibly, and refrain from consuming drugs or alcohol before getting behind the wheel. When a driver fails to uphold their duty of care on the road and causes an accident, they are liable for all resulting damages.
If you believe another driver is responsible for your recent motorcycle accident, an experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you establish their liability for your damages. This may involve physical evidence from the vehicles involved in the crash and the scene of the accident, eyewitness testimony, and digital records like traffic camera footage, vehicle computer data, and cell phone records.
More than one party can bear fault for a motorcycle accident. Therefore, it is also possible for the plaintiff in a motorcycle accident case to bear partial responsibility for causing their claimed damages. California’s pure comparative negligence comes into play in any personal injury claim in which the plaintiff is partially responsible for causing their claimed damages. The judge overseeing the case assigns a plaintiff a fault percentage based on the facts of the case, and the plaintiff loses that percentage of their case award.
If you are concerned about your ability to prove a defendant’s liability for your damages or are worried about comparative negligence, you need to consult a Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. An experienced legal team is the best asset you can have to prove fault for your damages and maximize your recovery.
Damages and Compensation in Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle accidents are easily capable of causing severe injuries, some of which can pose significant long-term challenges for the victim. California’s personal injury laws allow a plaintiff to claim compensation for all damages caused by a defendant’s actions. In a motorcycle accident claim, these damages are likely to include:
- Immediate and long-term medical expenses. When another driver injures you, you can hold them responsible for the cost of all the medical treatment you require. This includes any long-term care your injuries require, such as physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost income and lost earning capacity. Your motorcycle accident may leave you unable to work for an extended time. You can add your lost wages to your claim and hold the defendant accountable for lost future earning potential if you cannot return to your job due to a disability resulting from your accident. Your Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney can help you calculate what you would have reasonably expected to earn until retirement had your injury not occurred.
- Property damage. Civil claims often include repair and replacement costs for property damaged or destroyed by a defendant’s actions. For example, you may be able to recover some of your vehicle repair costs through insurance, but you can claim the rest of your property losses in a subsequent personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering compensation. California law allows a personal injury plaintiff to claim compensation for physical pain and psychological suffering caused by a defendant. Your attorney will assist you in calculating an appropriate amount of pain and suffering damages to include in your claim based on the severity of your injuries and whether you face long-term medical complications.
When a driver causes a motorcycle accident due to egregious negligence, intentional misconduct, or while engaged in criminal activity, they may face criminal charges in addition to civil liability for the victim’s damages. The judge handling the civil claim may award punitive damages to the plaintiff to punish the defendant for their actions. In addition, the judge handling the criminal case against the defendant may include restitution to the victim in their sentencing.
It’s common for motorcycle accident victims to discover their claims are worth much more than they initially expected when they have legal counsel from experienced attorneys on their side. Your Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can guide you through the various stages of your case efficiently,help you maximize your recovery, and answer your most important legal questions.
Motorcycle Accident FAQs
Kreeger Law has years of experience providing effective legal counsel to victims of various personal injuries, including motorcycle accidents in Sacramento, CA. Our goal is to provide the information and resources you need to navigate your case successfully. It’s understandable to have many questions about your rights and legal options after a motorcycle accident.
The following are some of the most common questions we hear from our clients regarding their motorcycle accident claims.
Is It Worth Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
You may wonder whether hiring a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer is worth the cost of their legal fees. The reality is that you stand to lose more by attempting to handle your case alone than you could potentially save through self-representation. An experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney can handle the various procedural requirements of your case and guide you through each stage of your proceedings. They are also more likely to maximize your recovery than you would be on your own, potentially uncovering channels of compensation you would have otherwise overlooked.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help With My Compensation Claim?
Your attorney can provide several valuable legal services throughout your motorcycle accident claim. They can assist with gathering the evidence you need to prove liability and help you secure the documentation required for proving the full extent of your claimable damages. Your case is likely to end with settlement negotiations, and your attorney can also guide you through this process. If the defendant refuses to settle and demands a trial, your Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney will represent you in court.
What Is the Most Common Injury in a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycles offer no physical protection to riders, and even when motorcyclists wear the best safety gear, they can easily suffer catastrophic injuries from motorcycle accidents. The most commonly reported motorcycle accident injuries are traumatic brain injuries. This type of injury can easily cause various symptoms and pose long-term medical complications for the victim.
What Should You Do if Someone Was Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident resulting in injury, it’s vital to report the incident to the police. If you are at fault, you risk criminal prosecution if you fail to report an accident, as California law requires. If you did not cause the accident and suffered an injury, call 911 for help if you can do so; otherwise, remain still and calm until first responders arrive to provide medical attention.
These are just a few examples of the common concerns motorcycle accident victims are likely to have after experiencing these incidents. If you or a loved one recently experienced a motorcycle accident in the Sacramento, CA, area, you’re likely to have many other questions specific to your case. Kreeger Law can provide the guidance you need to navigate your motorcycle accident claim successfully.
What to Expect From Your Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
The right attorney can make a tremendously positive impact on the outcome of your accident claim involving a motorcycle in Sacramento. When you choose Kreeger Law to represent you, our team will carefully review the details of your claim and provide you with comprehensive legal guidance for every aspect of your case. In addition, we will help you calculate your total damages and handle court filings on your behalf, providing you with updates on your case’s progress while you recover with peace of mind.
Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
California provides a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. This may sound like plenty of time to handle your claim, but it’s vital to act quickly and start working toward your recovery as soon as possible after a motorcycle accident caused by another driver’s negligence. Kreeger Law can provide the representation you need in this challenging situation. Contact us today to schedule your consultation with a reliable and experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney.