Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Want to get in touch with us? We’d love to hear from you. Get an expert opinion today.
Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycles are popular throughout northern California. Some riders prefer them to larger passenger vehicles, while motorcycle hobbyists enjoy customizing and riding their bikes for pleasure. Whatever your reasons may be for motorcycling in Sacramento, it is essential to acknowledge the inherent risks these vehicles present. If you are injured due to the negligence of someone else while riding a motorcycle, a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you seek compensation to pay for your recovery.
Motorcycles offer no physical protection in a crash, and whenever a motorcyclist experiences a collision with a larger vehicle, the motorcyclist is likely to suffer severe injuries.
Legal Representation for Injured Motorcycle Accident Victims in Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle accidents are damaging experiences that can lead to complex legal claims. If you or a loved one recently experienced a motorcycle accident in the Sacramento, CA, area, it’s vital to know your rights and legal options for recovering your losses. If another driver is responsible for causing your motorcycle accident, a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you file a personal injury claim to hold them accountable for your damages.
Kreeger Law provides comprehensive legal counsel to victims of personal injuries throughout the Sacramento, CA, area. We understand how damaging motorcycle accidents can be, and any motorcycle accident victim is likely to have many questions about their legal options following this kind of incident. Our goal is to help you approach your case with confidence.
Why Should I Hire a Sacramento Motorcycle Accident Attorney?
Attempting to handle any personal injury claim in Sacramento on your own is difficult and risky. You could make procedural errors with your case that jeopardize your ability to recover or significantly delay the court’s handling of your case. It’s also possible to overlook available compensation channels and settle for less than you should.
If you attempt to handle your fatal motorcycle accident claim on your own, you must do so while managing your injuries and the other effects of your accident. This is an incredible challenge for anyone. Instead of attempting to shoulder this burden on your own, have an experienced Sacramento motorcycle wreck attorney handle your case. Your legal team can not only improve your chances of succeeding with your personal injury claim but will also likely secure much more compensation than you could have obtained on your own. Ultimately, it is much easier to approach a personal injury claim with confidence when you have reliable legal representation on your side.
Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle accidents can occur under varying circumstances in Sacramento. There are two major kinds of accidents: those that involve one single motorcycle and those that involve multiple vehicles.
The most common kinds of single-vehicle accidents are:
- High-Side Crashes: A high-side accident happens when the motorbike no longer has traction with the surface of the road and then quickly regains it. This renewed traction can result in the motorcycle flipping. When this happens, the rider is usually thrown from the bike. Such crashes can be extremely dangerous due to the blunt trauma involved.
- Low-Side Crashes: A low-side accident occurs when a motorcycle tire completely loses traction with the road, and the bike falls on its side. These types of accidents usually occur during steep turns. Such crashes are usually less severe than high-side crashes because they involve lower impact speeds and heights.
- Collision With a Fixed Object: If a motorcycle crashes into a fixed object, such as a wall, a completely parked car, or a telephone pole, this is known as a fixed-object collision. Speeding or driving under the influence commonly causes such accidents.
- Rear-End Collisions: A rear-end collision can happen when a vehicle crashes into the back of a car. Such accidents normally occur due to tailgating, or following the car at a distance that is too close. A rear-end collision can result in the motorcyclist being thrown from the bike.
Multi-vehicle accidents, or motorcycle accidents that involve more vehicles than just one motorcycle, are more likely to be severe, leading to permanent injuries, disabilities, or even fatalities. This is due to the amount of blunt force involved in such an accident. Examples of multi-vehicle motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-Turn Crashes: Such accidents occur when a vehicle is making a left turn while there is an oncoming motorcycle. These accidents commonly occur due to the driver’s misjudgment of the distance of the motorcycle and the time that they had to turn. For this reason, it is critical for motorcyclists to be on high alert at intersections.
- Lane-Change Crashes: These collisions occur when a vehicle attempts to change lanes and crashes sideways into a motorcycle. These crashes are often due to poor visibility, in which the driver was not looking or the motorcyclist was in their blind spot.
- Sideswipe Crashes: If a vehicle collides with a motorcycle from the side, even briefly, this is known as a sideswipe crash. Such accidents happen due to a driver being distracted or not practicing defensive driving measures.
- Intersection Crashes: Any such accident that occurs at a dangerous traffic intersection is known as an intersection crash or accident. These accidents can be caused by a vehicle not yielding when they were supposed to or a driver not obeying traffic laws at the intersection.
While multi-vehicle crashes make up the majority of personal injury cases, it is possible to have a basis for a personal injury case that involves just the motorcycle. Such cases involve accidents that are caused by faulty motorcycle parts or repairs, as well as those caused by extremely poor road conditions. A Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you determine whether pursuing a personal injury claim is a feasible option for your situation.
Common Injuries From Motorcycle Accidents in Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle injuries tend to be more extreme during motorcycle accidents, as there is no protective structure on the motorcycle to serve as a barrier against an impact for its riders. The size of the motorcycle is also a function of the severity of the injury. The most common types of motorcycle injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Traumatic brain injuries can occur as a result of blunt force or trauma to the head. Wearing a helmet can help prevent traumatic brain injuries, but it does not ensure that they won’t occur. Such injuries can range from more minor TBIs, such as a concussion, to more serious brain injuries that can permanently affect motor and cognitive functioning or even lead to death.
- Fractures and Sprains: If a motorcycle rider is thrown from a motorbike or crushed, this can result in fractures of one or multiple bones. Common fractures and sprains occur on body parts such as the collarbone, knees, jaws, arms, ribs, and legs. Serious fractures may require multiple surgeries and rehabilitation.
- Injuries Involving the Spinal Cord: Injuries that involve the spinal cord can be extremely serious, as they can lead to the permanent numbness or paralysis of one or more body parts. Such paralysis can put individuals permanently out of work, creating the necessity for lost wages compensation.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: The motorcycle crash incident can be sudden and disturbing for crash victims. They can have mood and behavior changes and flashbacks that are associated with post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. This can lead to serious mental health problems, along with difficulty working or performing everyday tasks.
- Burns and Road Rash: Riders can be subject to road rash if they are thrown from their motorbikes during the crash incident. This can especially be an issue if they are not wearing protective gear for their skin. If a fuel tank catches fire and it spreads, this can also cause those involved in the incident to experience burns.
- Internal Organ Damage: The sheer impact that occurs during a motorcycle incident can lead to organ damage or internal bleeding. The symptoms of internal organ damage might not always be directly apparent. Therefore, it is critical to seek medical assistance directly after a motorcycle accident, even if you are not convinced that your injuries are serious.
There are a wide variety of injuries that can occur as a result of a motorcycle accident, and these injuries can be both physical and mental. Medical expenses associated with such injuries can involve:
- Regular clinic visits
- Medical devices
- Hospital bills
Therefore, it is critical to ensure that you get the personal injury compensation that you are entitled to. That way, you can cover all the associated costs of your injury.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Sacramento, CA
Motorcycle accidents happen for many of the same reasons as other motor vehicle accidents. But, unfortunately, the victim’s risk of suffering catastrophic or fatal injuries is much greater in motorcycle accidents. Some of the most commonly reported causes of motorcycle accidents in the Sacramento, CA, area include:
- Distracted driving. It is hazardous for anyone to operate a motor vehicle without paying attention to their surroundings. Even a few seconds of distraction can easily result in a devastating accident. Distracted driving is the most commonly reported cause of all vehicle accidents in the US.
- Driving under the influence (DUI). It is illegal for anyone to operate a motor vehicle under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Unfortunately, many people still engage in this dangerous practice and put themselves and others at risk. If a driver causes an accident because of DUI, they are likely to face criminal prosecution in addition to civil claims from victims they injure.
- Speeding. All drivers must abide by posted speed limits. Motorcycle accidents are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries and fatalities at higher speeds.
- Mechanical failures. If a maintenance issue causes an accident, the driver could face liability if they failed to address the issue in a reasonable time. It’s also possible for a mechanic to face liability if they fail to perform proper maintenance on a bike or vehicle that causes a motorcycle accident.
- Dangerous road conditions. While California drivers generally enjoy pleasant weather throughout most of the year, severe weather, poor visibility, and high winds create dangerous road conditions for all drivers. Motorcyclists are especially vulnerable in these conditions.
These are just a few examples of how motorcycle accidents can happen in the Sacramento, CA, area. The determining factor in whether you have grounds for a personal injury claim is if another party is responsible for causing your motorcycle accident. Therefore, the first step to recovering your losses in this situation is establishing fault for the accident.
Proving Fault for a Motorcycle Accident Injury in California
Every personal injury claim revolves around the concept of “negligence,” or a failure to uphold a duty of care in a given situation. All adults are expected to exercise reasonable care in certain situations. When it comes to driving, all drivers must abide by posted traffic signals, operate their vehicles responsibly, and refrain from consuming drugs or alcohol before getting behind the wheel. When a driver fails to uphold their duty of care on the road and causes an accident, they are liable for all resulting damages.
If you believe another driver is responsible for your recent motorcycle accident, an experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can help you establish their liability for your damages. This may involve physical evidence from the vehicles involved in the crash and the scene of the accident, eyewitness testimony, and digital records like traffic camera footage, vehicle computer data, and cell phone records.
More than one party can bear fault for a motorcycle accident. Therefore, it is also possible for the plaintiff in a motorcycle accident case to bear partial responsibility for causing their claimed damages. California’s pure comparative negligence comes into play in any personal injury claim in which the plaintiff is partially responsible for causing their claimed damages. The judge overseeing the case assigns a plaintiff a fault percentage based on the facts of the case, and the plaintiff loses that percentage of their case award.
If you are concerned about your ability to prove a defendant’s liability for your damages or are worried about comparative negligence, you need to consult a Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney as soon as possible. An experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident law firm is the best asset you can have to prove fault for your damages and maximize your recovery.
Damages and Compensation in California Motorcycle Accident Claims
Motorcycle accidents are easily capable of causing severe injuries, some of which can pose significant long-term challenges for the victim. California’s personal injury laws allow a plaintiff to claim compensation for all damages caused by a defendant’s actions. In a motorcycle accident claim, these damages are likely to include:
- Immediate and long-term medical expenses. When another driver injures you, you can hold them responsible for the cost of all the medical treatment you require. This includes any long-term care your injuries require, such as physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost income and lost earning capacity. Your motorcycle accident may leave you unable to work for an extended time. You can add your lost wages to your claim and hold the defendant accountable for lost future earning potential if you cannot return to your job due to a disability resulting from your accident. Your Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney can help you calculate what you would have reasonably expected to earn until retirement had your injury not occurred.
- Property damage. Civil claims often include repair and replacement costs for property damaged or destroyed by a defendant’s actions. For example, you may be able to recover some of your vehicle repair costs through insurance, but you can claim the rest of your property losses in a subsequent personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering compensation. California law allows a personal injury plaintiff to claim compensation for physical pain and psychological suffering caused by a defendant. Your attorney will assist you in calculating an appropriate amount of pain and suffering damages to include in your claim based on the severity of your injuries and whether you face long-term medical complications.
When a driver causes a motorcycle accident due to egregious negligence, intentional misconduct, or while engaged in criminal activity, they may face criminal charges in addition to civil liability for the victim’s damages. The judge handling the civil claim may award punitive damages to the plaintiff to punish the defendant for their actions. In addition, the judge handling the criminal case against the defendant may include restitution to the victim in their sentencing.
It’s common for motorcycle accident victims to discover their claims are worth much more than they initially expected when they have legal counsel from experienced attorneys on their side. Your Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer can guide you through the various stages of your case efficiently, help you maximize your recovery, and answer your most important legal questions.
FAQs About California Motorcycle Injury Laws
Kreeger Law has years of experience providing effective legal counsel to victims of various personal injuries, including motorcycle accidents in Sacramento, CA. Our goal is to provide the information and resources you need to navigate your case successfully. It’s understandable to have many questions about your rights and legal options after a motorcycle accident.
The following are some of the most common questions we hear from our clients regarding their motorcycle accident claims.
Is It Worth Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
You may wonder whether hiring a Sacramento motorcycle accident lawyer is worth the cost of their legal fees. The reality is that you stand to lose more by attempting to handle your case alone than you could potentially save through self-representation. An experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney can handle the various procedural requirements of your case and guide you through each stage of your proceedings. They are also more likely to maximize your recovery than you would be on your own, potentially uncovering channels of compensation you would have otherwise overlooked.
How Can a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Help With My Compensation Claim?
Your attorney can provide several valuable legal services throughout your motorcycle accident claim. They can assist with gathering the evidence you need to prove liability and help you secure the documentation required for proving the full extent of your claimable damages. Your case is likely to end with settlement negotiations, and your attorney can also guide you through this process. If the defendant refuses to settle and demands a trial, your Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney will represent you in court.
What Is the Most Common Injury in a Motorcycle Accident?
Motorcycles offer no physical protection to riders, and even when motorcyclists wear the best safety gear, they can easily suffer catastrophic injuries from motorcycle accidents. The most commonly reported motorcycle accident injuries are traumatic brain injuries. This type of injury can easily cause various symptoms and pose long-term medical complications for the victim.
What Should You Do if Someone Was Injured in a Motorcycle Accident?
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident resulting in injury, it’s vital to report the incident to the police. If you are at fault, you risk criminal prosecution if you fail to report an accident, as California law requires. If you did not cause the accident and suffered an injury, call 911 for help if you can do so; otherwise, remain still and calm until first responders arrive to provide medical attention.
These are just a few examples of the common concerns motorcycle accident victims are likely to have after experiencing these incidents. If you or a loved one recently experienced a motorcycle accident in the Sacramento, CA, area, you’re likely to have many other questions specific to your case. Kreeger Law can provide the guidance you need to navigate your motorcycle accident claim successfully.
What to Expect From Your Sacramento Motorcycle Injury Lawyer?
The right attorney can make a tremendously positive impact on the outcome of your accident claim involving a motorcycle in Sacramento. When you choose Kreeger Law to represent you, our team will carefully review the details of your claim and provide you with comprehensive legal guidance for every aspect of your case. In addition, we will help you calculate your total damages and handle court filings on your behalf, providing you with updates on your case’s progress while you recover with peace of mind.
Our Motorcycle Accident Attorney Sacramento , CA Can Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
California provides a two-year statute of limitations on personal injury claims. This may sound like plenty of time to handle your claim, but it’s vital to act quickly and start working toward your recovery as soon as possible after a motorcycle accident caused by another driver’s negligence. Kreeger Law can provide the representation you need in this challenging situation. Contact us today to schedule your consultation with a reliable and experienced Sacramento motorcycle accident attorney.