Getting to Know Citrus Heights, CA
Citrus Heights is a beautiful suburb located about 15 miles northeast of the California capital city of Sacramento. Previously known as Sylvan, Citrus Heights gained its current name in 1910 and now is home to about 90,000 residents. For several decades, Citrus Heights has been a top destination for retail shopping in the Sacramento area, home to the Birdcage Walk and the Sunrise Mall. In January 1997, Citrus Heights incorporated and became an independent city providing local municipal services.
Citrus Heights is conveniently located on Interstate 80, the transnational highway connecting New York and San Francisco, and Interstate 5, California State Route 99, the Capital City Freeway, and US Highway 50 pass close to Citrus Heights. This local transportation network makes Citrus Heights an ideal location for commuters working near Sacramento.
History of Citrus Heights
The town now known as Citrus Heights was called Sylvan when it was first settled in 1862. The town featured a small schoolhouse, the Sylvan Road, and the Sylvan Corners. Early settlers enjoyed pristine views of oak forests and untouched countryside. Local farmers enjoyed some of the best growing weather in the country, and Sylvan quickly became an agricultural hub of northern California. In 1864, Sylvan farmers petitioned for a new road connecting eastern Sylvan to Auburn road, and the Central Pacific Railroad built a new stop near Sylvan that allowed local agriculture to grow more rapidly.
Sylvan continued to grow steadily through the remainder of the 1800s, and by the 1900s, the area was a sparsely populated agricultural community and home to a few notable landowners. In 1910, the real estate development company Trainor & Desmond bought a large swath of undeveloped land and divided it into 10-acre lots. They wanted to attract buyers, so they changed the area’s name from Sylvan to Citrus Heights. In 1911, the Citrus Heights Water Takers Association constructed irrigation to allow the agricultural community to support a more residential lifestyle.
Citrus Heights struggled through the Great Depression and experienced a freeze in 1932 that destroyed most of the fruit crops in the area. At the end of World War II, new families moving into the area created a greater need for new public facilities and services. Citrus Heights opened its first post office in 1947. By 1950, the local school district, the San Juan Unified School District, had blossomed to include eight elementary schools and a high school. By 1960, the population of Citrus Heights grew to more than 22,000 residents. The city’s fight for incorporation began in the 1970s, and it was not until 1996 that local voters approved the incorporation of Citrus Heights, which took effect in January 1997. Since then, it has continued to grow into a thriving residential community.
Things to Do in Citrus Heights
Today, Citrus Heights is a relatively quiet suburban area of northern California and a popular retail destination. Home to some of the first covered malls in the Sacramento area, visitors and residents alike enjoy the Sunrise Mall, the Citrus Town Center, and the many local businesses operating in the area. In addition, it’s an ideal commuter town for professionals working in downtown Sacramento, offering a short travel time to and from work and the comforts of small-town living close to the amenities of the big city.
There are plenty of local parks complete with playgrounds for children, walking paths, and dog parks in the Citrus Heights area. The town is also close to Lake Natoma and the Rusch Botanical Gardens for those who enjoy the outdoors. While there is plenty to see and experience in the Citrus Heights area, it’s essential to know what to do if you experience an injury due to another party’s carelessness. Whether you live and work in Citrus Heights or are just visiting, knowing where to turn if you need legal assistance is vital.
Representing Clients in Citrus Heights, CA,
The attorneys at the Kreeger Law Firm have years of experience serving clients throughout the Sacramento area in a wide variety of civil claims. In addition, we provide legal representation to Citrus Heights clients for all types of personal injury cases, including:
- Car accident claims. If a negligent driver causes an accident with your vehicle, our team can help you explore your options for holding them accountable. In addition, we can guide you through the auto insurance claims process and assist you in filing a personal injury claim to ensure maximum recovery.
- Product liability claims. If you or a loved one suffered an injury due to a defective or unreasonably dangerous consumer product, our firm will help you file a personal injury claim under California’s product liability statutes.
- Premises liability claims. Did you sustain an injury on private property in Citrus Heights due to the property owner’s failure to maintain safe premises? We can help you hold them accountable under California’s premises liability laws.
- Dog bite claims. California upholds strict liability when a dog injures a person. If you suffered a dog bite or other injuries because of a dog, we could help you take legal action against the dog’s owner.
- Wrongful death claims. If you recently lost a loved one because of the negligence of another party, you have the right to file a civil claim against them and seek compensation for your family’s losses. Our team can provide the compassionate legal counsel you need to approach a wrongful death claim with greater confidence.
These are just a few examples of the types of cases we can handle. Citrus Heights is a beautiful place to live or visit, but no matter where you go in California, there is always a risk of sustaining an injury or economic loss due to the negligence of another party. The Kreeger Law Firm can provide the legal guidance you need after experiencing any type of personal injury. If you are ready to explore your legal options for a civil claim in Citrus Heights, CA, contact the Kreeger Law Firm today and schedule a consultation with our team.